Friday, May 25, 2018

My Imaginary Friends

I have a group of friends at my son's school. OK, maybe the word "friend" is a bit of a stretch in the normal sense of the word. In the normal context, a friend is someone that you know very well. Someone that you care about and share interests with. In this case, these people don't quite fit that definition. I'm not sure I know the last names of any of them. There are two that I'm not sure I even know their first name. I don't know where they live, nor have we really spoken outside of school or parties. But these people--these moms, dads and caregivers are my Band of Brothers so to speak. Our children are all in an AMAZING preschool for autistic children. The goal is to get them the skills they need to attend "regular" school with "regular" children once they finish. We have been together for the last 1-2 years watching, hoping and yearning for our kids to get to the point of graduation. Some only need 1 year of intensive therapy--others, like Noa needed 2 solid years before he could matriculate into a "regular" kindergarten.  I know these people and they know me. Even though we don't share neighborhoods, phone numbers or outside interests (not sure any of us have time) we share the same hopes, anxieties and dreams for our special little ones.
Somehow, after a short period of time, we came to understand each other's worried looks, sad faces and faces beaming with pride.

There was a time that every Wednesday that I dropped Noa off was horrible. He would fight and cry and cling to the door and it would take forever to get him in. I would leave, stressed and feeling like a failure, half expecting the school to call me and tell me that Noa needed to be picked up. My fellow moms and dads in the struggle would see and give me the "nod" or a quick arm squeeze that would tell me that everything would be OK and that they too had been there. I think in a "normal" school Moms and Dads would say "Oh, its going to be alright. He'll be fine." but my People know that things like that are just hollow words and not at all reassuring. We know that sometimes its not fine and that a minor meltdown can escalate into a major mess and we have to pick up the pieces to put things back together.

We celebrate the little things, that our other friends won't really appreciate.  About how our kid was able to make it an entire day without being put into a sensory suit, or how he made a complete sentence or how he was able to introduce himself to another person while making eye contact. We comment on our kids accomplishments, we quickly talk about therapies, diets and things we've heard about in the hallway on the way to and from pick ups. We celebrate the mundane because we understand how much work it took to get to that little moment. We don't take things for granted. We appreciate each other. I appreciate that we don't have to lie to each other. We don't talk about going to dinner or grabbing  a coffee because honestly, we don't have the time. Between jobs, other kids, spouses, and family we are barely carving out moments to just BE. I know that and THEY know that and we are happy to exist in that "OK-Maybe-One-Day" space. We know that maybe one day things will be different and our children won't need as much time and energy but for right now we are doing as much as we can with very little time and energy.

Nothing excites us more than a birthday party. Because this is one of the few, fleeting moments that we get to come together to truly celebrate. We get to talk, to catch up and most importantly, our kids get to go somewhere where they aren't the "only" ones. We don't have to explain to the other moms why our child acts "odd". If one of our kids has a sensory meltdown we don't bat an eye and protect each other from the disapproving gaze of others who don't know what's going on. Its lovely not having to explain to everyone around you that your child is different. To just relax and let my guard down because I know they all understand. We are all in the same struggle.
All too soon it will be time for Noa to finish this school. We will go on to "regular" school where we won't know anyone and where I'll have to explain to everyone that Noa is different. I will miss those understanding looks, those supportive nods and those quick talks. I will miss the solidarity and support.  I'll even miss the Moms and Dads with no name. 😉 They were my very REAL best friends.


5 comments:

  1. With each post, a glimpse into your world & your amazing Noa, I am amazed, humbled & respect your strength. You were amazing before Noa but clearly being his mommy has transformed you into a straight up superhero. I know the emptiness of the word of the well-meaning but know that you are never alone. You & your family are loved. And each day, each struggle, each battle, each victory we celebrate with you, we fight with you & for Noa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you're gonna make me fall apart
      Love you!!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God chose you to be Noa's mom for a reason. ❤ FAMILY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you cousin! I'm so glad you had the chance to meet him. Hopefully you will see him again soon :)

      Delete

Race to the Finish

It was a race. A race to the finish. It took a while to explain to Noa that he needed to run to the finish line. To cross the line. To run ...